A On line casino in Enid, Okay???.If an Indian tribe, worked through all of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and may build an online casino in downtown Enid, are you for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos throughout the state, you almost certainly run into people you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation furnished by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping in the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying at the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capacity to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions built to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that appeared as if a slot machine game. We have all seen the little digital bingo card with the top corner of the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just in a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes along with the State of Oklahoma allowed the use of Vegas style slots, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed inside a trust with all the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part with the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people pursuing the Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground in the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive elements of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken to operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent from the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who employed to travel outside with the area now stays within the location.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted method for governments to raise funds. It is described as source of money which is easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an increase in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. website Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative areas of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour vast amounts into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes may also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is surely an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, those hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so that it takes more gambling and higher stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling fires up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it might enhance our community or bring social problems natural meats not want to manage?